6) When it is Raining, Prepare for Hydroplaning
Hydroplaning can be a jarring experience and often leads to vehicle accidents. There are several steps you can take as a driver to make sure you are prepared in case your vehicle hydroplanes:
- Step 1: Slow down. Your chances of hydroplaning are reduced when you are driving slower.
- Step 2: Avoid standing water. As much as is possible and safe, avoiding driving through standing water.
- Step 3: Do not panic. A vehicle hydroplanes when there is enough water around the tires that they lose contact with the road. Though it is unnerving, most skids due to hydroplaning last only a moment.
- Step 4: Wait it out. Since hydroplaning lasts for a split second, wait out the skid. Do not overreact.
- Step 5: Don’t overcorrect. Slowly ease your foot off the accelerator or brake pedal until the skid is over. Braking or accelerating quickly will increase the likelihood of losing control.
- Step 6: Steer into the skid. In other words, gently guide the steering wheel in the direction you want to go. Be careful that you do not make sudden sharp movements. When the vehicle does regain traction, it could feel sudden and jarring.
7) When it is Raining, Turn Around, Don't Drown
Do not drive across flooded roadways. It only takes six inches of gently flowing water to wash your vehicle away. Rivers and creeks can rise suddenly in the Asheville area, but there is always another route. There are few things more dangerous in the rain than driving across a flooded roadway.
8) When it is Raining, Beware of High Winds
Heavy rains are often accompanied with high winds. In western North Carolina, wind speed and direction can change suddenly on ridges and in the valleys. It is important to maintain a firm and steady grip on the steering wheel during storms and adverse weather.
9) When it is Raining, Watch for Falling Rocks
Landslides and rockfalls can accompany heavy rain. It is important to keep your eyes on the road, especially when it is raining. Conditions can change suddenly in Asheville; therefore, it is vital you remain undistracted.
For more information on vehicle maintenance, old changes, transmission service, tire rotation and balance, and other automobile services, give us a call. We work on any make and model of vehicle.